Which sea regions?
Bathymetric survey data sets are being catalogued as acquired and managed by European data providers for all regions in the world. A harmonised Digital Terrain Model at a gridsize of 1/8 * 1/8 arc minutes has been produced and is made available for the following European sea regions:
- the Greater North Sea, including the Kattegat and stretches of water such as Fair Isle, Cromarty, Forth, Forties,Dover, Wight, and Portland
- the English Channel and Celtic Seas
- Western Mediterranean, the Ionian Sea and the Central Mediterranean Sea
- Iberian Coast and Bay of Biscay (Atlantic Ocean)
- Adriatic Sea (Mediterranean)
- Aegean - Levantine Sea (Mediterranean).
- Madeira and Azores (Macaronesia)
- Baltic Sea
- Black Sea
- Norwegian and Icelandic Seas
- Canary Islands (Macaronesia)
- Arctic region and Barentz Sea (available mid 2018)
The DTM with full European coverage and higher resolution of 1/8 * 1/8 arc minute grid size is available from early February 2015 and has been updated and further improved early September 2015 and recently October 2016.
The present version also features a layer with high resolution bathymetry for the following coastal regions:
- North Sea coastal waters in Germany
- Dunmanus bay in Ireland
- Mediterranean coastal waters in France
Further upgrading of the EMODnet DTM is ongoing and includes incorporating even more surveys and further improvement of the digital bathymetry. Also Satellite Derived Bathymetry (SDB) data will be included for covering gaps in survey coverage. Moreover developments are underway for increasing the overall resolution from 1/8 to 1/16 arc minute and to expand the coverage of the DTM to include also the European coastal zones as well as the European arctic region and Barentz sea. Furthermore higher resolution DTMs will be developed and made available where data are available and released for publication by its owners.